Monday, February 14, 2011

Behind the Words: Wind From a Shadow (for Leroi Moore)

The following is the second posting in a series I am calling "Behind the Words." These posts will include a poem from either Today Then Tomorrow (2011) or Independent (2006) and some explanation of how and why I wrote this. I will use this series to provide some insight into my method of fostering an idea from inspiration to completion. There are some of poems that I will not cover because they need to stay as they are; open to interpretation and there for the reader to understand what it means to them.

The following poem "Wind From a Shadow" is included in Today Then Tomorrow. This was written in memory of Leroi Moore, the late saxophonist of the Dave Matthews Band. Leroi tragically passed away in August of 2008 from complications following an ATV accident. I am a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band. I have seen them perform live over 15 times. Their music means a lot to me as do all the members of the band. I was extremely sad when news broke about Leroi's passing. He added so much to the band and to the music they played both in the studio and in concert. This is the third DMB-centric poem I have published. In my first book Altered Vizion (out of print) I wrote a piece about the band in "The Fire Symphony." In my second book, Independent, there is a poem "Three Thank You's for David." This was in dedication to David Gray, Dave Matthews, and my father.

When Leroi passed, I felt compelled to write something for Today Then Tomorrow. I went through many drafts of the poem. I wanted to do everything I could to capture what he brought to the stage and to the ears of his listeners Leroi always worked so hard in hitting the exact notes that would fit the overall mood the band was trying to convey. He did this beautifully. Songs like #41, Rapunzel, & You Might Die Trying were some of favorite songs where he shined.

In closing, I remember feeling sad when he died for not only his family and friends, but for the fact the he would never get to join his family of Dave, Carter, Stefan, and Boyd on stage ever again. Rest in peace Roi.
___________________________________________________________________

WIND FROM A SHADOW
(FOR LEROI MOORE)

Amid rhythms
exhaled
a powerful sound-
air charged with beauty,
soothing heaven
to the ground

As flights of performance
blitzed rampant
to his right,
he set styles
for evenings
in the outskirts of lights

While assaults commenced
he sketched
careful projections,
as ambition met eardrums,
precise flair
was accented

Thunderous notes
hailed fierce arrows
in a battle-
a crescendo immortal,
by the wind
from a shadow
_______________________________________

Andy Levine
Author & Publisher
Vizion Books

No comments:

Post a Comment