Saturday, January 22, 2011

Behind the Words: Sad Axis

The following is the first posting in a series I am calling "Behind the Words." These posts will include a poem from either Today Then Tomorrow (2011) or Independent (2006) and some explanation of how and why I wrote this. I will use this series to provide some insight into my method of fostering an idea from inspiration to completion. There are some of poems that I will not cover because they need to stay as they are; open to interpretation and there for the reader to understand what it means to them.

The following poem "Sad Axis" is included in Today Then Tomorrow. This was written in the Fall of 2006 and was actually the first poem written for what was to be Today Then Tomorrow. That in itself is special to me for a few reasons. For one, this poem survived four years of editing and making hard choices of what to include in the book. This poem is also largely unchanged from it's original form, which is also rare in my writing process. I have changed the title several times and also re-worked the verse and language, but the basic core of the poem has remained mostly unchanged. The original title for this poem was "New York City Daylight."

In the Fall of 2006 I took a short weekend trip with two of my best friends to New York City. None of us had spent much time in the city. Because of this, we wanted to check out Times Square and see what some people deem "The Crossroads of the World."

The moment (or trigger - more on that in future posts) of inspiration came when we exited the cab late at night (not by NYC standards apparently) and were met with Times Square in full force; crowds, neon, and a sort of controlled chaos. I remember thinking that there was something amazing but also very melancholy about this place.....
__________________________________________________________________________________

SAD AXIS

From a yellow
at midnight,
came daylight

In this center
of greatness
and tremendous flaw,
they slow
among commerce
in a state of awe

A synthetic rush
has senses shifting,
as the more
that’s explored
corrupts each
merging victim

At a time in the world
when most
are at rest,
intersections
confide secrets
these corners confess

It's a polar paradox
to cold urban blocks,
with walkways
of mobs
and doors
without locks

There are mountains,
not here,
crushing slogans
and clichés,
real places
of true beauty,
unlike this
flamboyant maze

How can this
be an axis
where society spins,
as neon glows
mask a sadness
lurking shallow within

Please explain
why this idea
holds attraction,
as it's just a circus
that survives
for distraction
__________________________________________________________________________________

Now I must admit, I have not spent much time in New York City. I am loyal Bostonian and the fact that people view NYC as a superior city is most likely my New England bias not agreeing with that notion. I recognize the wonderful aspects of the city, but I also do not like the hectic nature that exists there. I know most people enjoy it and most New Yorkers absolutely love it. Beyond that, I did feel a sense of underlying sadness in Times Square.

I felt that all the glitter and glow of the city certainly kept your attention, but for what? New York City reminds of the internet in some ways. There are wonderful parts that you can learn from and appreciate it's splendor, but there is also a constant stream of commercialization trying to sell you things and ideas that you may or may not desire.

I also felt that in a "city that never sleeps" those hours of being awake when most are rest can be filled with "secrets that these corners confess." That is not say that the city is filled with the worst parts of humanity, not at all. NYC has a sense of anonymity to it for better or worse.

I was fortunate to see the Southwestern United States a few summers ago. On this trip I visited many National Parks included Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon. The wonder of those places to me outweighed the fake brilliance of Time Square. On that trip, which had started in Las Vegas, I came to appreciate the true beauty of this world. There were no neon signs or 24-hour locksmiths, just lush landscapes that filled my soul.

I do not hate Times Square or New York City, I just question it's importance sometimes. This country is a big place and part of an even larger global community. Times Square is similar to Las Vegas and Disney World...they all serve as a great temporary distraction.

Andy Levine
Author & Publisher
Vizion Books

No comments:

Post a Comment