Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Behind the Words "New Rules"

The following is the third posting in a series I am calling "Behind the Words." These posts will include a poem from either Today Then Tomorrow (2011) or Independent (2006) and some explanation of how and why I wrote this. I will use this series to provide some insight into my method of fostering an idea from inspiration to completion. There are some of poems that I will not cover because they need to stay as they are; open to interpretation and there for the reader to understand what it means to them.

The following poem "New Rules" is included in Today Then Tomorrow. The inspiration behind this poem came from the personal experience of becoming a professional adult. At a certain point we transform from a young adult to a professional adult. The evolution that takes place involves adapting to this new world with a learning curve that is different for everyone. Personally, I am lucky to work in an interesting, but fairly laid back atmosphere. There are others in my office that do have to wear that ultra-professional sales & marketing hat. My observations of these wonderful folks and also others in my life who similarly tread in these waters were the basis for the idea and the specific language used in the poem. I find the culture of an office an corporation interesting in the regards to how people on the rise try to adjust to the way things are done and the unwritten rules and customs that are involved in climbing that career ladder.


NEW RULES

This is what you do
in a given position,
as rising status
bears standards
and a suggested vision

At first unsure
of steps to pursue,
past tendency yields
on new passages
to pass through

Now stumbling
with discretion
to win a part
in this play,
you lean on walls
and on others
just to find
the next day

Old rules
become altered
in stage shows ahead,
as risk dances
to melodies
of whatever is said

With ascension higher
humility is essential,
small success
should give way
to a next time’s
potential

Broader concepts
develop
with firm repetition,
as flat scenarios
assemble
into tangible non-fiction

Chances ahead
corralled raw yesterday,
become today’s moves
in new games
that are played



Andy Levine
Author & Publisher
Vizion Books

1 comment:

  1. Andy, I can really relate to this poem, especially learning my new job in the past several months and how my past experience in my previous job help me do my new job much more efficient.
    LOve, Mom

    ReplyDelete