Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Name That Tone

One of my favorite challenges and joys as a writer is titling poems, sections, and books. I feel strongly that what you use as a title for a poem has a great impact on the lines below them. It sets a tone. Doing this effectively can really have an influence over what you read or remember about any piece of work, be it a poem, song, or painting. I enjoy coming up with a creative poem title or a play on words that I feel compliments the actual text of the poem. There is a fine line though between naming something in a creative way for purpose or titling something for shock value. The delicate balance of those two elements in the end hopefully produces an identity for the work of art. Sometimes the first title for a poem of mine sticks throughout the many stages of editing. It makes sense from the start and there is no reason to change it. There are times when I go through a handful of names. It is a process of evolution that I interpret by instinct and experience. In my younger days I was serious into journalism. One of my strengths was coming up with headlines. I think that is why I embrace the challenge of poetry; taking a big idea and explaining it in a limited amount words for maximum effectiveness. Sometimes this requires 20 verses, sometimes it takes 3. That doesn’t mean a short poem has less to say than a longer poem. I used to think that the longer the poem the more profound. Over time, I have realized that is untrue. It is the ultimate artistic show of quality over quantity. I have always appreciated and been fascinated the way people use and group words together. From short company slogans to songs and screenplays. Using words for a creative purpose is a like a puzzle with hundreds of thousands of pieces. A lot of parts look like they should work together, but it is only when you find that right fit does a beautiful and harmonious connection occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment